We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Undertake an effective risk assessment to identify and manage the risks;
- Develop, implement, and monitor and review a safe system of work;
- Provide suitable personal protective equipment to workers;
- Ensure chemical tanks in the near vicinity of the work including the tank of caustic soda were covered; and
- Provide information, training, instruction and supervision to its workers
On 3 April 2018, the Victim, one of TAL’s workers, was disassembling scaffolding near tanks containing caustic soda solution at PMPL’s premises.
The Victim was not given an appropriate induction, taken through the hazards, nor given suitable PPE. While disassembling the scaffolding, the Victim’s hands were contaminated with the caustic soda solution, and he suffered chemical burns requiring surgery."