PCBUs, including PCBUs that own or occupy buildings, must identify and manage risks in the place of work so far as is reasonably practicable, including seismic risks.


Policy clarification: Dealing with earthquake-related health and safety risks (PDF 52 KB)

MBIE has information on earthquake risks in buildings and specific guidance about understanding seismic risk on its website. 

MBIE - Seismic Work Programme(external link)

We recommend PCBUs read and follow this guidance. When thinking about seismic risk, we also recommend PCBUs obtain professional advice from a Chartered Engineer. Engineering New Zealand(external link) can assist with advice and finding a suitable engineer. HASANZ(external link) can also help connect PCBUs with trusted health and safety professionals. 

We also have a policy on earthquake-prone buildings which you can find at the top of this page. A new policy is in development. In the meantime, this policy remains our position.