We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
Ensure the Metalclad Saw is properly maintained by;
- ensuring that the Hood Guard and Course Adjustment could be easily adjusted
- ensuring that a riving knife was fitted
- ensuring that a push stick was available.
Ensure that the employee is adequately trained and supervised and have the knowledge and understanding to be able to adjust, correctly set up, and operate the saw safely.
Provide employees with an alternative saw, that may be better suited to the task of cross-cutting lengths of timber into firewood, examples include:
- a Radial Arm Circular Saw and Bench
- a Mitre/Drop Saw and Bench or
- a purpose made Firewood Saw.
The defendant should have ensured the victim was adequately trained or supervised to operate the alternative saw(s).