We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Provide a standard operating procedure for culvert cleaning with sufficient clarity regarding when temporary traffic management is required for culvert cleaning;
- Require employees to undertake site-specific risk assessment safety briefings documented in on-site records;
- Ensure that employees have a clear understanding of the differing roles and responsibilities of foreman and site traffic management supervisor;
- Ensure that the worksite is appropriately managed in terms of an approved traffic management plan; and
- Ensure that temporary traffic management is installed before any work activity commenced.
There had been no site-specific discussion about traffic management set up, hazard identification or risk assessment. The defendant’s standard operating plan for culvert cleaning dictated that the shoulder of the road or the nearest lane should have been closed, but this did not occur."