We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Conducted an effective risk assessment for the work on the property.
- Ensured that he had the appropriate information in relation to asbestos at the property.
- Engaged a qualified asbestos removalist to remove the ceilings at the property and dispose of the asbestos containing material appropriately.
- Ensured WorkSafe New Zealand was notified of the asbestos removal work at least five working days prior to that work commencing.
- Ensured that workers had appropriate and adequate personal protective equipment.
On or about 27 March 2019, the Defendant, along with two workers removed the tiles. The Defendant did not conduct a risk assessment for the work and failed to perform further testing to confirm the presence of asbestos before removal. The Defendant was not licenced to remove the asbestos, nor did he notify WorkSafe prior to commencing work.