We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Ensure a risk assessment was undertaken prior to work commencing;
- Implement controls to manage the risk of exposure to asbestos;
- Monitor the control measures to ensure effectiveness;
- Ensure a safe system of work was in place for the task of demolition;
- Train workers to recognise potential ACM;
- Ensure appropriate personal protection equipment (“PPE”), including respiratory masks, was provided and worn by workers;
- Consult with other PCBUs about potential hazards/risks;
- Communicate and liaise with other PCBUS regarding any action they may have taken in respect of identifying asbestos;
- Undertake a thorough inspection of the building site to identify asbestos or ACM;
- Prepare a written asbestos removal plan, and monitor compliance with a written plan;
- Obtain a Clearance Certificate for the site after removing the textured ceiling;
- Formally train its workers in the fitting of their asbestos-related PPE;
- Provide its workers with the appropriate information and health monitoring in relation to asbestos.
- Regulations 20(2) and (6)(b) of the Health and Safety at Work (Asbestos) Regulations 2016 (Budge Street)
- Sections 36(1)(a), 48(1) and (2)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (Queen Street)
7 August 2017 (Queen Street)
$0 consequential loss
$5,428.17 and $3,615.21 investigation costs