We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Fit the Extrusion Machine with appropriate guarding/barriers;
- Install appropriately located emergency stops on the Extrusion Machine;
- Have adequate systems in place for identifying hazards in the workplace;
- Have an adequate safe operating procedure for using the Extrusion Machine; and
- Have adequate policies/processes in place for training workers in the safe use of the Extrusion Machine (ie in accordance with a settled standard operating procedure).
Another worker saw what was happening and was able to turn the machine off and come to the victim’s aid. The victim was airlifted to hospital where he underwent surgery for the injuries to his hand. The only remaining digits were his thumb and half of his forefinger.