We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Identify and document potential hazards in its entirely;
- Ensure all hazards are clearly communicated to workers;
- Ensure all safety procedures and controls are clearly documented and communicated to workers;
- Ensure workers have been trained in accordance with training policies before they work unsupervised;
- Ensure all workers are supervised by a person with the required knowledge or expertise in the relevant work so that workers are doing the work safely; and
- Ensure there is on-going regular monitoring of safety procedures to ensure all workers are aware of relevant safety procedures and control measures for the task they are undertaking and ensure they are complying with those safety procedures and control measures.
On the day of the incident, the victim, employed as a labourer on the mutton slaughter floor was undertaking the Pull Shoulder task with another worker. A clean pull of the hide from the shoulder of a mutton carcass was not completed so the victim followed the carcass approximately 5 metres down the chain to complete the pull. The victim got caught under the chain which resulted in them being dragged by the chain before another worker was able to press the emergency stop button.
As a result the victim suffered a laceration to their head, contusions and a chipped molar.