We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Three restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
WorkSafe (with input from Waka Kotahi and wider industry) has been developing new guidance for road and roadside work. It is now ready for consultation/feedback.
You are invited to review and provide feedback on the draft good practice guidelines.
When reviewing these draft guidelines, please note:
- The target audience for these guidelines is PCBUs (persons conducting a business or undertaking) that fund, plan and undertake work activities on or near roads in New Zealand.
- After the content of these guidelines has been confirmed, additional shorter guidance will be developed for workers. However, these guidelines should be able to be understood by any person who chooses to read it.
- These guidelines are intended to sit alongside Waka Kotahi’s Code of practice of temporary traffic management (COPTTM). COPTTM is currently being reviewed. The good practice guidelines will be updated as required to make sure they align with COPTTM updates as and when they occur. This may be before or after the good practice guidelines have been published.
- As the guidelines are in a draft format, some illustrations may appear in low resolution. Once the content has been confirmed, the guidelines with be reformatted and made beautiful by our design team.
- Please use the feedback form provided.
How to respond
Feedback is due by 13 September 2021. (This deadline has been moved out a week in response to the COVID-19 lockdown).
Completed feedback forms can be sent to:
The Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) allows New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, or anyone in New Zealand, to request official information from the government – including copies of submissions.
We will let you know if we receive an OIA request for a copy of your submission. The content of your submission may be made available to the public, however you can indicate on the response form whether you would prefer your details to be kept confidential. We will manage any personal information you supply in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020.