If you are notifying us of an unsafe gas or electrical product, please use our online complaint form.

Consumer problems with electrical or gas products or services should first be resolved with the retailer or service provider using the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act. The Consumer Protection(external link) group of MBIE can provide advice on this.

If there is a direct gas or electrical safety issue with a product you can report it to us using our online product appliance complaint form(external link).