Find more information on how to notify us about an occupational disease or illness.

Person conducting a business or undertaking  

A PCBU must notify WorkSafe as soon as possible after becoming aware that a notifiable event arising out of the conduct of the business or undertaking has occurred. 

A notifiable event is any of the following that arise from work: 

There is more detail on what a notifiable illness or injury is, with examples, and how to notify us on this page: What events need to be notified? | WorkSafe  

Medical Officers of Health 

A Medical Officer of Health is required to notify WorkSafe of a notification they receive: 

  • Under section 74 of the Health Act 1956, of a notifiable disease that he or she reasonably believes arises from work, or  
  • Under section 143 of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996, of an injury caused by a hazardous substance that he or she reasonably believes arises from work. 

These notifications are required under section 199(external link) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015. They should be made on the appropriate form and emailed to healthsafety.notification@worksafe.govt.nz. Each individual notification should be sent in a separate email.

Health conditions notified to WorkSafe 2022-23

Read about the health conditions notified to WorkSafe 2022-23