You must give WorkSafe notice of any licensed asbestos removal work at least five days before the work starts. Notice must be given in writing by completing and sending us the Notification of licensed asbestos removal form. This is to ensure there is a clear record of what is being done and where.
You may only begin asbestos removal work immediately when there is:
- a sudden and unexpected event, including a failure of equipment, that may cause persons to be exposed to respirable asbestos fibres, or
- an unexpected breakdown of an essential service that requires immediate rectification to enable the service to continue.
If asbestos must be removed immediately you need to give notice to us immediately on 0800 030 040. You must follow this up in writing within 24 hours of the phone call by completing the Notification of licensed asbestos removal(external link).
Notify WorkSafe if respirable asbestos fibre levels are at, or over, 0.02 fibres/ml
You must notify us immediately if the results of air monitoring during Class A asbestos removal work show that the concentration of respirable fibres are at, or over, 0.02 fibres/ml.
You must immediately:
- order the asbestos removal work to stop
- notify WorkSafe of the incident
- investigate the cause
- implement controls to prevent exposure of anyone else to asbestos
- prevent the further release of respirable asbestos fibres.
You must not begin the removal work again until the air monitoring shows that the respirable asbestos fibre level is at or below 0.01 fibres/ml.
We must be notified of all licensed asbestos removal work being carried out by completing the Notification of licensed asbestos removal(external link) and sending it to us at least five days before the work begins. This is to ensure there is a clear record of what is being done and where.
There are some circumstances that may require asbestos to be removed immediately. If this occurs, WorkSafe must be notified as soon as possible by phone, and in writing by completing the Notification of licensed asbestos removal form within 24 hours after WorkSafe has been notified by phone.
- a sudden and unexpected event that may cause people to be exposed to asbestos
- an unexpected breakdown of an essential service (gas, water, sewerage etc) that requires immediate asbestos removal so the service can continue.
Asbestos Licence Holder Register
Find a current asbestos removal licence holder or asbestos assessor.Read more
Everything you need to know about the asbestos licensing system, including licences for asbestos removal and for licensed assessorsRead more