AREA OF ASSESSMENT
1. NATURE OF WORK:
- Describe the nature of the work or activity.
| || |
2. WORKING ON EXCAVATION SITES:
- Is this work or activity notifiable?
3. SAFE SYSTEMS AND PROCEDURES:
- What is the work method?
- Has a safety management system been developed?
- Have workers been trained on its content?
- Are the key causes of harm identified?
- Are the hazards identified?
- Are the hazard controls outlined?
- If there is no written system, how have the hazards been identified, assessed and controlled? How will they be monitored and reviewed?
ACoP 5.1.2 & 5.1.3
- Is there advice on the use of safety equipment? (for example, PPE, gas monitors).
- Have emergency procedures been communicated to the workers before the excavation begins?
- Have underground utilities (water, sewer, gas, telecommunications) been identified, located and marked prior to excavation?
- Have overhead utilities (power/phone lines) or obstacles been identified?
|ACoP 5.2.5 (c)|
- Excavations adjacent to buildings or structures: Has expert advice been obtained before the excavation was started?
|ACoP 4.3.5 (b) and (c)||IN|
- Is there a system to deal with potential contaminants?
- Is a traffic management plan required?
- Is there a system for the monitoring and reassessment of work as it progresses? (for example, a schedule of regular inspections)
ACoP 5.1.3 (d)
6. SECURITY ON SITE:
- Is the site externally secure? (for example, fencing, barriers)
- Is the site internally secure? (for example, fencing, barriers)
|ACoP 184.108.40.206 & 5.2.3||PN|
- Is there protection from risk of falls? (for example, edge protection)
- Is spoil and plant clear of the face edge by the required distance?
- Are properly secured stop blocks provided to prevent tipping vehicles falling in?
- Is the battering or benching at a 1:1 gradient?
ACoP 4.3.2 (a)
- Does the shoring and materials used meet design standards?
ACoP 4.3 & 6.1.2
- Have the trench covers and shoring been approved by a structural engineer?
- Where the excavations are more than 1.5 m deep, are they shored and cut back to a safe slope (or does an engineer state the precautions are adequate)?
9. MINIMISING HAZARDS:
- Is there safe access and egress to the trench?
ACoP 220.127.116.11 & 5.2.1
- Are excavations in or next to roads or structures adequately shored or supported to support such road services?
- Have workers been advised of the location of underground and overhead utilities?
- Can the workers describe the emergency procedures including evacuation from a trench and a rescue plan?
- Are environmental hazards like dust, noise, and low light levels being controlled?
- Is there a need for gas monitoring to be conducted?
ACoP 12.1 & 12.2
- Is the PPE in use adequate and of correct standard and condition?
- Is the mobile plant clear of any overhead lines?
ACoP 5.2.5 (c)
- Are workers aware of mobile plant movement on the site?
RNZ Guideline 5.2.1
- Are there exclusion zones and/or a spotter around the mobile plant?
RNZ Guideline 5.2.1
- Do safety barriers or delineations used on road sites comply with safe traffic management?
RNZ Guideline 5.2.2