Search this website
| Options Options
Search Type
Document Actions

Certification of sites

You may need to obtain a test certificate from a test certifier if you handle or store hazardous substances. The test certificate can be required for persons, locations or equipment. The test certifier will tell you what information you need to give them to issue you a test certificate. The cost of issuing or renewing certificates is set by the test certifier. You should contact several certifiers to discuss which services they offer and what fees apply.

Location Test Certificates

A hazardous substance location test certificate may be required where explosive, flammable or oxidising substances are stored or used and the quantity exceeds the thresholds specified in the legislation. If your substances are only toxic, ecotoxic, or corrosive you do not need a location test certificate.

Read more…

Stationary Container Certificates

Stationary tanks and process containers holding hazardous liquids or gases over specified limits must have a stationary container system test certificate. It acts like a warrant of fitness - showing that the system meets the legal requirements for use.

Read more…

Explosives Magazines & Readily Moveable Containers

Explosives must be secured in a magazine or in a readily movable container at a hazardous substance location or designated use zone, when not under the personal control of an approved handler with a Controlled Substance Licence.

Read more…

Outdoor Pyrotechnic Display Test Certificates

If you are planning an outdoor pyrotechnic display, you need to apply for an Outdoor Pyrotechnic Display Test Certificate.

Read more…

Last updated 20 January 2017


On Monday 4 April 2016, the New Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA) came into effect.

HSWA repeals the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992, with immediate effect.

All references to the 1992 Act on this website and within our guidance will be progressively removed.