Search this website
| Options Options
Search Type
Document Actions

Certification of people

How to become an Approved Handler, an Approved Filler, a Test Certifier, or a Periodic Tester.

Approved Handlers

If you handle or store hazardous substances you may need a test certificate. You can get one from a test certifier. They will tell you what they need from you before they can issue the test certificate.

Read more…

Approved Handlers - Assessment Forms

A list of forms for test certifiers to use when assessing an approved handler applicant for the first time.

Read more…

Approved Fillers

Anyone filling compressed gas containers with gas must be an approved filler. This applies to all compressed gases, including air.

Read more…

Controlled Substance Licences (CSLs)

A Controlled Substance Licence (CSL) is required to possess certain explosives, vertebrate toxic agents or fumigants.

Read more…

Becoming a Test Certifier

A test certifier is an independent person approved by WorkSafe New Zealand to issue test certificates. A test certificate confirms that individuals, sites or containers are compliant with the hazardous substances legislation.

Read more…

Performance Standards for Test Certifiers

Test certifiers are expected to adhere to the test certifier performance standards when issuing a test certificate.

Read more…

Periodic Testers

A periodic tester is a person who works in a cylinder testing station, and who is legally approved to test and certify compressed gas cylinders.

Read more…

Test certifier updates

HSNO Activities - Certification, Qualifications & Licensing Updates

Read more…

Last updated 20 January 2017


On Monday 4 April 2016, the New Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA) came into effect.

HSWA repeals the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992, with immediate effect.

All references to the 1992 Act on this website and within our guidance will be progressively removed.