HSNO Activities - Certification, Qualifications & Licensing
WorkSafe New Zealand issues approvals for hazardous substance compliance applications under the Hazardous Substance and New Organisms (HSNO) Act. This work is undertaken on behalf of the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) and includes HSNO certification, qualifications and licensing of people, sites and equipment.
Certification of People
A person may need to verify their knowledge and skills to manage very hazardous substances, or to fill or test compressed gas containers.
- Approved Handlers: If you handle or store hazardous substances you may need an Approved Handler test certificate.
- Approved Fillers: Anyone filling compressed gas containers with gas must be an approved filler. This applies to all compressed gases, including air.
- Controlled substance licences: A Controlled Substance Licence (CSL) is required to possess certain explosives, vertebrate toxic agents or fumigants.
- Test certifiers: Test certifiers issue test certificates for people, sites and equipment to ensure that they are compliant with the regulations. Includes information on Test Certifier Performance Standards.
- Periodic testers: Periodic testers test and certify compressed gas cylinders.
- Enforcement officers: Enforcement officers are appointed by enforcement agencies.
Certification of Sites
Certificates for hazardous substance locations, stationary container systems, explosive magazines and containers, and outdoor pyrotechnic displays.
Certification of Equipment, Buildings & Plants
- Applications for reduction in separation distance
- Certificates for the design and construction of tanks and stationary container systems and tank wagons
- Approvals or gas cylinders and fire extinguishers, vaporisers, burners and dispensers.
WorkSafe New Zealand applies fees for processing hazardous substance applications