Health monitoring report
A PCBU for whom workers are carrying out work for which health monitoring is required must complete a health monitoring report and send it to WorkSafe if the report contains any:
- advice that test results indicate that a worker may have contracted a disease or an illness, or suffered an injury as a result of carrying out work that involves a health hazard that triggered the requirement for health monitoring; or
- recommendation that the business take remedial measures, including a recommendation about whether the worker is able to continue to carry out work that involves a health hazard that triggered the requirement for health monitoring.
A copy of the report must also be given to the worker.
When is health monitoring required?
Health monitoring is required under the Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016 (GRWM Regulations), if workers are carrying out work involving a hazardous substance that a safe work instrument says requires health monitoring and there’s a serious risk to the health of workers as a result of exposure to it.
Health monitoring is also currently required under two other sets of health and safety regulations:
- Health and Safety at Work (Asbestos) Regulations 2016 (regulation 15), and
- Health and Safety at Work (Mining Operations and Quarrying Operations) Regulations 2016 (regulation 127).
The duties in the GRWM Regulations to obtain a health monitoring report and give it to WorkSafe apply to health monitoring done under the Asbestos Regulations. Under the Mining Operations and Quarrying Operations Regulations, the mine operator must provide health monitoring records to WorkSafe on request.
Health monitoring report template
The template has been developed for use by work-related occupational health practitioners. It includes all of the information that must be included in a health monitoring report under regulation 38 of the Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016).
Occupational health practitioners may use their own report formats or templates if they wish. Use of this template is optional.
You will need Microsoft Word 2007 or later to open and edit this template. If you do not use the report template above, refer to the section below.
How to send health monitoring report to regulator
Complete the Health Monitoring Report to Regulator form when:
- the report template provided by WorkSafe is not used, and
- you have identified that it is necessary to send the report to WorkSafe as outlined in the Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016.
Attach the health monitoring report to the following form, and send it to WorkSafe.