From 1 September 2014, WorkSafe New Zealand will undertake, on behalf of the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA), certain hazardous substance functions under the Hazardous Substance and New Organisms (HSNO) Act. This includes:
- Issuing test certifier approvals, renewals and extensions
- Oversight of the test certification regime
- Issuing controlled substance licences
- Issuing approvals for plant and equipment used in workplace
- Approval of HSNO codes of practice
- Development of guidance material and other information resources.
This change is an element of the overall package of reforms that are underway to improve New Zealand’s health and safety systems.
WorkSafe already has an obligation under the HSNO Act to ensure that the Act is complied with in places of work. This obligation remains unchanged.
- Further information on the transfer of HSNO functions to WorkSafe is available in a series of Frequently Asked Questions